Congratulations! You’ve passed the milestone of college graduation! You have your cap, your gown, your degree . . . and, most likely, a student loan to pay off. So now what?
Advice for Grads — 7 Tips for Moving Forward
- Keep Moving
“You don’t have to see the first staircase, just take the first step.” –Martin Luther King Jr.
Wise words. You don’t have to know your whole future; just keep moving forward, taking each step as they come.
- Mindset is Everything
“Mind is a flexible mirror, adjust it, to see a better world.” ―Amit Ray
Having the right mindset is a catchphrase these days –because it’s SO important. Part of having the right mindset includes the following:
- Staying positive.
- Knowing and believing in your “why.”
- Remaining true to yourself.
- Learning from your mistakes.
- Being patient with the journey.
- Embracing change — your first job does not have to be your only job, and your degree doesn’t have to determine your whole career.
- Choose Wisely
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” ―Confucius
Ideally, you want to love what you do and who you work for –it makes all the difference in the world!
- Be Open
“The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them.” ―Unknown
Often a career path includes steppingstones. Don’t be afraid of temp work, internships, or “starter jobs.” It is a great way to add ‘experience’ to your degree and lead you into that dream career.
- Be Prepared
“Opportunity does not waste time with those who are unprepared.” ―Idowu Koyenikan
Help yourself secure that job with preparation.
- Do your research.
- Study the company, the role, the growth opportunity.
- Ask good questions. Discern if the job aligns with your goals and your values.
- Keep your resume polished and ready to go.
- Ensure your experience includes relevant examples – quantify accomplishments.
- Replace filler words with action verbs.
- Touch-up layout and design
- Proofread. Proofread.
- Network Like Crazy
“It’s not about what you know or who you know. It’s about how well you know who you know.” ―Dr. Ivan Misner
- It’s time to network like a boss.
- Brush up your LinkedIn profile. Post articles and participate in forums.
- Most colleges can provide alumni with the same degree, so take advantage and reach out for their advice.
- Check-in with your local business chambers.
- Attend networking events – in person and virtually.
- Connect with a Staffing Agency
No, we don’t have an amazing quote on this one –just the surety that we care about you and your career. Placing the right people in the right places is our specialty. Connect with the Hamilton Connections team today!