“It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” Perhaps it is also the most stressful.
Between work (which is extra crazy at the moment) and all the holiday activity, you have twice as much to manage and a whole lot less time.
While COVID-19 has made this year’s holiday look different, the work-life balance is still a battle to maintain.
Here are some tips to help keep you sane!
Prioritize – Make yourself three lists.
- I HAVE to Do List.
- I WANT to Do List.
- Everyone EXPECTS me to Do List
Put down everything that must be done, purchased, baked, or wrapped. Cross off everything that’s not necessary (especially from list #3) or that can wait until the new year. Be ruthless – hack those lists to shreds. Put down everything else in order of importance and deadlines, then tackle them as such. Seeing everything written out helps keep those priorities straight!
Delegate – You do not have to do everything, nor could you. Learn to delegate different tasks to others.
- Pick up Christmas cookies at the local bakery.
- Hire someone to hang your Christmas lights.
- Order and mail Christmas cards online — instead of doing it all by hand.
Just like at the office, outsourcing makes your life simpler anyway.
Manage Expectations – It begins with your mindset.
- Don’t strive for perfection.
- Do fewer things with excellence rather than a lot poorly.
- Have honest conversations and set boundaries at home and work.
- Give yourself grace — this year’s been hard enough as it is.
- Protect your time with those you love.
Be Fully Present –this can be challenging.
- When you are at work, be at work. You can’t wrap gifts while on shift anyway.
- When you are with your family, be with your family!
- Be intentional about being fully present. Put your phone away — resist the temptation to check-in and answer every email and question that comes in when you are on the job or with your family and friends.
Take Some Time for Yourself –even if it’s merely a few minutes per day.
- Take a moment to breathe, meditate,
- Journal your thoughts
- Set aside a window of hobby time.
- If you can, take a day off work to catch up
At Hamilton Connections, we understand the effort it takes to maintain a work-life balance amidst all of the holidays’ bustle. (Even COVID-19 can’t take away the business of the season.) So if you’re looking for an extra set of hands to fortify your team for the remainder of the year, it’s not too late to call us! We would love to help you out!